This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you.
When Gorilla glue gets tacky on your skin, it can be quite hard to remove. This is because of its quick drying time which makes manual removal difficult. Gorilla glue is used for permanent projects, so when it gets stuck on something it will be a pain to remove it. However, some methods have been used to effectively remove this glue from the skin. Below is a list of the best techniques to try when removing Gorilla Glue from skin.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is Gorilla Glue Harmful to the Skin?
- 2 How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Skin
- 3 Removing Wet or Tacky Gorilla Glue From Your Skin
- 4 How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Skin When Dry
- 5 How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Fingers
- 6 Tips and Tricks for Using Gorilla Glue
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gorilla Glue Harmful to the Skin?
In modern days, adhesives have been improved when it comes to viscosity and curing times. This is also the case with gorilla glue which hardens quite fast when it accidentally comes into contact with skin. It dries in as much as a few seconds because of the quick curing formula which makes it difficult and painful to remove. It is advisable to remove Gorilla Glue on skin as soon as you see it. Gorilla Glue on skin is well known for penetrating deep into pores when it is applied to surfaces.
You should be extra cautious when dealing with Gorilla Glue because it is an adhesive that turns waterproof when it has fully cured. Water-based glue is the easiest glue to remove from the skin. However, Gorilla Glue is polyurethane, so you have to be cautious when handling it. Therefore, it is important to know how to remove Gorilla Glue from skin.
How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Skin
Time is the most important factor to consider because it determines the method that will be most effective. Two possibilities can happen: either the glue is wet or it has cured and hardened. This means that we have come up with all the methods that you can use to remove Gorilla Glue in its different states. We have created a list of these methods below for how to get Gorilla Glue off your hands.
Removing Wet or Tacky Gorilla Glue From Your Skin
This tutorial below will focus on how to remove Gorilla Glue from skin while it is still wet. Gorilla Glue tends to set very fast, so you must act quickly when you notice it on you.
- Remove Gorilla glue the second you notice it on your skin
- Keep a cloth handy so that you can use it to wipe off the glue before it gets anywhere else.
- Wash the remaining residue from your hands using soap and water. Solid bar soaps can cause friction, so it is better to use liquid soap.
- Always keep a basin of liquid soap and water handy.
- Use salt and sugar to rub your hands if there is any glue remaining on your hands after you have washed your hands.
- Moisturize your skin properly after rubbing with salt and sugar because it might be too dry.
How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Skin When Dry
You do not have to worry if you have taken long to remove gorilla glue from your skin. If the glue has hardened already, there are various methods you can use to remove glue from the skin without harming or causing pain to yourself.
Scrubbing involves using coarse salt and sugar, which are readily available in our homes. A pumice stone is often the most effective method of scrubbing. It is more gentle on your skin when compared to coarse salt and sugar. Follow the tips below on how to get Gorilla Glue off skin by scrubbing:
- Apply some baby oil on the glued part of your skin.
- Soften the glue by rubbing it in circular motions all over the glued part of your skin.
- Scrub the affected area with a pumice stone, do not apply a lot of pressure when using the stone because it might cause skin abrasions.
- You should massage the glued area for a short while until you see the glue coming off. Massaging should be done as soon as the glue starts flaking.
- Once you are done with removing the glue, use soap and warm water to clean your hands from any residue. If you still feel some glue patches on your shin then you should repeat the process.
How do you use citrus to get rid of Gorilla Glue? You can use various citrus fruits for this method to properly work. These can be lemons, limes, and so on. However, lemons are the most effective among all other citrus fruits. This method uses natural materials that do not contain any harmful chemicals. This method is quite easy because of the acidity in the lemons that breaks down the glue. However, be cautious enough when using this method especially if your skin is broken. Follow the simple steps below on how to get Gorilla Glue off skin with citrus:
- Slice the lemon in half using a knife.
- Extract lemon juice into a bowl by squeezing it
- Take the lemon juice and rub it on the affected area (the area with the hardened glue) until it starts coming off.
- If the process is not effective the first time you can continue trying until it works.
- Once you have removed all the glue, wash the area with warm soapy water to get rid of the lemon.
- If you still feel some stings on your skin, then you should run your skin under cold water
This product is found in most household products, including nail polish removers. Acetone is quite effective in removing the glue. Moreover, acetone is known as the most effective method. Be extra cautious when using acetone because it can dry out your skin. Always apply some moisturizer after using acetone on your skin. Follow the steps:
- Wash your skin with warm soapy water and leave it wet.
- Take a few cotton balls and pour the acetone on them.
- Remove the Gorilla Glue by wiping the affected area in circular motions.
- Continue doing this process until the glue has been removed completely.
- Wash the area with soapy water, thus including your hands too.
- Once the acetone has dried from your skin, moisturize your hands and skin.
Rubbing Alcohol Method
Rubbing alcohol is quite similar to acetone in the process of removing Gorilla Glue from the skin. However, you have to work carefully and gently, ensuring that you avoid tearing your skin because it can cause a lot of pain. These steps will show you how to get Gorilla Glue off hands with rubing alcohol:
- Take a bowl and fill it with warm water, make sure the water can cover both of your hands.
- Add liquid soap and mix it until you start noticing bubbles.
- Take the bowl and submerge your fingers into the water.
- Soften and loosen the paint by dipping your hands in water for not more than 10 minutes.
- If the glue gets on other skin areas take a clean cloth and soak it in warm soapy water. Hold the cloth quite close to the affected area.
- Dip a cotton swab in the rubbing alcohol.
- Rub the cotton swab over the affected area until the glue begins to dissolve.
- To remove glue and any alcohol resides, use warm water and soap to wash your hands.
- Apply some moisturizer as soon as the alcohol dries out.
Special Mixture Method
You can use vinegar/water, liquid detergent, and baking soda. These simple ingredients allow you to create an effective solution for removing dried super glue. Follow the steps below for how to get Gorilla glue off hands with this special mixture:
- Put about 2 liters of warm water in a basin, make sure the water is enough to cover your hands.
- Add 10% of soda ash to the basin.
- Add 2% of liquid detergent to the basin.
- Put your hands into the water and rub the glue until you get rid of all the glue.
- Finish the process by washing your hands in warm clean water.
Vegetable Oil Method
Ordinary cooking oil can also be effective in removing Gorilla Glue from the skin. It is one of the safest and cheapest methods that you can try at home. You can obtain the same results if you are using baby oil /almond oil. You can make use of the method below:
- Pour some oil onto a clean rag.
- Rub the affected area in circular motions.
- Leave the oil on the affected area for a while.
- The glue will start to peel off.
This product will also remove gorilla glue solvent from your skin. It is top-rated for being effective and powerful in removing gum, grease, and a lot more. However, you must be cautious when handling this product. This is because it tends to cause skin irritation and you might end up inhaling it. Make sure you apply it only to the affected area. It must not spill or end up on any other part of your body. Follow the steps below:
- Take a clean cloth and spray the WD-40 on it.
- Hold the clean cloth close to the affected area for a short while.
- The glue will start peeling off after a few minutes.
- You can repeat the same method until you get the desired results.
Hand Lotion Method
How do I get Gorilla Glue off my skin using hand lotion? Hand lotion is effective only if there is a small amount of glue on your skin. You can also use petroleum jelly for the process to be effective too. Follow the simple steps below:
- Take a small amount of hand lotion and apply it to the affected area.
- Leave the hand lotion on your skin for a short while.
- The glue will start peeling off.
- Since you will be using hand lotion, there will not be any need to moisturize your hands afterward.
Razor and Shaving Cream Method
This is another simple method that you can use with readily available household items. This method is effective if you are working on a flat surface of your skin. Follow the steps below:
- Pour warm water into a small bowl.
- Apply the shaving cream to the glued part of your skin.
- Take your razor and dip it into warm water.
- Shave the scrape of the dried glue off your skin, make sure you do not cut yourself.
- Use clean soapy water to clean and remove any residues from the area.
Goo Gone Method
This method is quite safe for removing Gorilla Glue from your skin, it also works well when removing sticker residue, chewing gum, and so on. It is one of the most hassle-free methods of removing Gorilla Glue. Use the method below:
- Apply the Goo Gone to a clean cloth or soak some cotton balls into the solution.
- Leave the cotton balls on the glued area for a short while. If you are using a towel, you can also lay it over the affected area
- You can easily wipe off the Gorilla Glue from your skin.
How to Remove Gorilla Glue From Fingers
If Gorilla Glue has glued your fingers together, then the process of removing it might be difficult. Even though you might feel uncomfortable, do not try and force your fingers apart as this might tear your skin. Follow the steps below to learn how to remove Gorilla Glue from fingers.
Using Acetone/Nail Polish Remover
- Pour a few drops of acetone or nail polisher remover into a small container.
- Immerse your fingers into the small container.
- Leave your fingers inside the container for three minutes.
- Remove your hands from the container, use the other hand to pry the fingers apart.
- You can repeat the process again if your fingers are still stuck.
- You can now use some lotion to remove the dried glue.
- You can also opt for cooking oil, salt and sugar if you do not have any exfoliating lotion.
- Use warm water and soap to wash your hands before moisturizing.
Quick Tip: To avoid getting your fingers stuck together, use a cotton swab when dealing with Gorilla Glue solvent.
Using a Pencil/Pen
A pencil or pen can also be effective when learning how to get Gorilla Glue off your hands. Insert the pen or pencil where your fingers are stuck and begin rolling it forward. This will put pressure on the glue, forcing your fingers apart.
Tips and Tricks for Using Gorilla Glue
The following are some of the tips you can use to safely handle Gorilla Glue when you are using it. No one wants their fingers to get stuck with this type of glue. So, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Wear protective gloves and clothing when working with Gorilla Glue to keep your hands and arms safe.
- Keep a clean cloth handy so that you can wipe off some of the glue when it spills. You would not want the glue to create more mess.
- If you have tried the above methods and nothing seems to be working, then you can use a knife to scrape off the glue.
- Or you can also try to relax and leave the glue on your skin for at least two to four days. The glue will peel on its own as your skin will be renewing.
- Always make sure that the glue is properly closed when you are not using it, to ensure that it does not spill or get onto your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Gorilla Glue be Classified as Toxic?
There are harmful chemicals found in the Gorilla Glue that may be harmful to your health if you inhale the glue. However, Gorilla glue is not toxic to your skin, but you need to handle it with caution. This is because if you accidentally swallow it, it may swell and cause damage to your stomach.
Does Gorilla Glue Take Long to Harden?
Gorilla Glue dries quite fast, in a few minutes it will already be dry. It only takes a few seconds for it to start hardening, so you must be extra careful and get rid of it immediately.
Is There a Way I Can Prevent Gorilla Glue from Getting Onto my Skin?
Wear protective clothing when handling Gorilla Glue. This means that you should wear something that covers your hands and arms, or any exposed part of your skin. You can also use a toothbrush or toothpicks to apply Gorilla Glue.
Does the Solvent in Gorilla Glue Dissolve the Glue?
Use warm soapy water to dissolve the glue from your skin. This process works well if you try it as soon as the glue spills on your skin. Otherwise, you might have to use acetone to effectively remove the glue.
We have managed to cover some of the best methods that can be used to remove Gorilla Glue solvent. You can review all of the methods and you can use the one that will work perfectly for you. Keep in mind that what worked for someone might not work for you as well. So, keep on trying if the first method does not get it right.